Why is homemade granola so intimidating? I have no idea but it totally is. Well, I am here to tell you that this is your recipe. Trust me on this one. I have attempted granola a zillion times and this is hands down the easiest and best recipe I have come up with. It’s loaded with healthy fat, protein and carbs, the kids love it, and it’s incredibly versatile. I put it on everything! (or eat it straight out of the jar)
I am absolutely in love with the maple oat hemp flavor profile in this recipe, but if you don’t have one of the ingredients on hand, swap it out for something similar. You can play around with it and make your favorite combo. Yummmmmm.
Now for my SIMPLE HEALTH HACK:
When using cinnamon, always try to use Ceylon Cinnamon if you can. It is a bit more expensive but in my opinion 100% worth it. First, it has more antioxidants and less coumarin (which can cause liver damage in high doses).
It also does the following:
- Assists in blood sugar regulation
- Regulates blood pressure
- Potentially preventative against Alzheimer’s disease
My homemade granola recipe is loaded with this medicinal cinnamon. Feels great to give my kids such a healthy treat too!
Here are some of my favorite ways I use this awesome granola:
- Take out the big chunks and use them as snacks for your kid’s lunches
- Layer with yogurt and fresh fruit for a fancy parfait
- Make a homemade acai bowl and use it as a topping (recipe here)
- Make a breakfast banana boat (split a banana, top with yogurt fruit and granola)
- Throw some over ice cream for an extra sweet crunch
The Best Gluten Free Granola
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Spread evenly on a lined baking sheet and cook for 1 hour.
- Break up the granola with a spoon and cook a bit more. 10 minutes should be enough.
- Remove and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container when fully cool. Lasts a week no problem. Maybe longer but mine never lasts that long.