What’s your favorite on the go snack? My go to is a delicious DIY Peanut Butter or Almond Butter bar, smeared with some nut butter and fig jam on top. My favorite is Nutsola DIY Superfood Peanut Butter Bar (check out my Shop My Favorites for a 15% off code). But you could pick up any Paleo / Gluten friendly bar for this.
I love figs. My kids love figs. So instead of buying sugar and preservative laden fig jam at the store, I decided to make my own. And let me tell you, it tastes so fresh and delicious you will never go back to store bought! The recipe is super simple and has no refined sugar. I used only the sweetness of the figs with just a little extra coconut sugar. Better yet, I used dried mission figs so that you can make it year round.
This jam is delicious on toast, bars, stirred into oatmeal or another hot cereal and swirled into desserts such as cookies or fruit bars. It’s definitely worth making so that you have a jar in the fridge you can pull out at any time.
Here are some of my favorite ways to use up a jar of jam:
- Spread over a paleo bar with some extra nut butter
- Spread over cream cheese or another soft white cheese and serve with crackers at a party
- Stir into plain yogurt
- Add some to a pan sauce for meat (yum!)
- Make fig jam stuffed french toast
- Spread some on a grilled cheese for that sweet salty combo
- Warm it up and pour over vanilla ice cream
- Use it to make cookies or fruit bars
- Fill crepes with it
- Turn it into a balsamic glaze for steak or chicken
- Stir it into a crumb cake
- Put it on top of oatmeal or hot cereal
- Use it on top of gluten free biscuits
Ok enough talking, let’s get cooking!
Super simple recipe below:
Homemade Fig Jam
- 6 oz dried mission figs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Boil figs and coconut sugar in water in a small saucepan for 10 minutes.
- Place softened figs and water in a high powered blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend on high speed until smooth. Add a bit of water at a time until it is the consistency of jam. Store in the refrigerator.