One of my favorite things to do when I go on vacation is find a local shop with the best Acai bowl in town and get one overloaded with toppings. Why? Because… well… you know, it’s vacation. My second favorite thing to do is come home and try to recreate the deliciousness all over again. This was my favorite smoothie bowl recreation from a cute shop in Flagstaff, Arizona called Local Juicery.
Because I didn’t have any acai, I recreated this with frozen fruit I had on hand. Namely, banana and blueberries. Lucky for me that happens to be my daughters favorite combo. Winning! I added Truvani Wild Caught Marine Collagen for protein, coconut milk for fat, and fresh organic fruits, chlorella, spirulina, chia seeds, beet powder and homemade granola. P.S. (If you haven’t checked out my homemade granola recipe, check it out here. It’s so easy and versatile!)
Okay, back to the smoothie bowl. This thing is loaded with nutrients but tastes like dessert so my entire family scarfs it right up.
Now, before we jump to the super EASY 5 minute recipe, I want to run through a few must knows on algae.
First, what is chlorella and spirulina and why should we all be using it?
Chlorella is a freshwater microalgae with the highest known quantities of chlorophyll found in nature. It’s structure is simialar to the hemoglobin in our blood which carries oxygen around making this an energy powerhouse. It has RNA/DNA responsible for cellular renewal, growth and repair. The cellulose of chlorella is indigestible, but it attracts and binds with heavy metals and removes them from our body. It can also assist in the removal of pesticides, herbicides and insecticides.
Spirulina is also a microalgae but it is higher in protein content (up to 60% protein.) It is also loaded with EPA, DHA and GLA (7%) which assists with the brain and nervous system. It’s a rich source of vitamins and has the highest concentration of antioxidants in the world. It has the 2nd highest concentration of omega-3’s.
Algae has well studied health benefits. It can lower cholesterol and triglycerides which makes it protective for cardiovascular disease. It lowers inflammatory markers. Has anti-cancer properties. Can protect against oxidative stress. Preventative for metabolic diseases. Improves our immune function, regulates lipid and carbohydrate metabolism which potentially makes it a good supplement for pre-diabetics and diabetics. It also protects against several viruses and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. It can reduce the toxicity of our liver and kidneys. Talk about a superfood!
- High in chlorophyll
- RNA/DNA in algae assists with cellular repair and renewal
- The cellulose in the algae binds to heavy metals
- It’s high in GLA/EPA/DHA
- It is the best source of vegan protein and omega-3’s
- Improves immune function
- Lowers inflammation
- Protective for heart disease, cancer, liver disease, diabetes and various viruses
But, not algae is created equal.
What to Consider Before Purchasing Algae
- Always buy organic.
- Avoid China or Japan sourced algae. China has been known to falsify it’s organic documentation and Japan has potential radiation exposure in their algae products.
- No fillers.
- You want sound chamber extraction. The glass bead method can contaminate the product with lead and destroy the nutrients.
- No high heat drying (damages the enzymes in the algae)
- You want it preserved in a vacuum sealed bag (once light hits it, the nutrient density decreases.)
I personally use Wizelephant or Energy Bits brand algae. Both can be found on Amazon.
Now you know a little bit about algae. Enjoy!
What about Collagen?
Collagen is an important protein for our skin, hair, nails and joints. It’s easy to digest and won’t cause inflammation or blood sugar spikes. Want to learn a little bit more about the health benefits of collagen? Click here for a simple summary to see if this protein might be right for you and your family. I personally love the Truvani brand (unflavored) and Primal Kitchen Collagen Fuel (in Coconut Chocolate.)
Superfood Collagen Smoothie Bowl w/ Algae
- 2 bananas frozen
- 1/2 cup wild blueberries frozen
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 scoop collagen powder Recommend Truvani Wild Caught Marine Collagen
- 1 banana fresh, sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries fresh
- 1/2 cup granola
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tsp beet root powder
- 1 tsp spirulina and chlorella powder
- 1 tbs honey for drizzle
- Place all smoothie bowl ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Layer with fresh fruit, granola and your desired toppings. I listed mine out for you but you can top it with whatever you have on hand.
- Drizzle with honey and serve cold.
Health Benefits of Blue Green Algae. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23402636
Marine algal natural products with anti-oxidative, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties. https://cancerci.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2867-13-55
Edible blue-green algae reduce the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines by inhibiting NF-κB pathway in macrophages and splenocytes. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304416513000226
Amazing Discovery: Plant Blood Enables Your Cells To Capture Sunlight Energy. https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/chlorophyll-enables-your-cells-captureuse-sunlight-energy-copernican-revolution
Beneficial immunostimulatory effect of short-term Chlorella supplementation: enhancement of Natural Killer cell activity and early inflammatory response (Randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3511195/