“It’s spicy” is just mom code for “I don’t want to share.” And that’s exactly what I said to my kids when I made these little peppers as a snack.
If you’ve never tried shishito peppers before, only 1 in 10 are actually spicy so it’s kinda like playing Russian Roulette pepper style. But in all seriousness, these are the perfect snacked. Paired with my favorite homemade cold and creamy vegan ranch, you just can’t go wrong.
The best thing about making these peppers is that you don’t have to trim off the stems and they only take a few minutes to make in a pan. I grab them by the stem, dip, and devour.
Shishito Peppers with Vegan Ranch
- 1 or 2 lb shishito peppers
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sprinkle sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked in hot water for 10-20 minutes
- 3/4-1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dill
- 3 tbs apple cider vinegar
- Pour a few tablespoons oil in a large saute pan or wok over medium high heat. When hot, add peppers and saute whole, tossing occasionally and covering with a lid until soft, deep brown and blistered.
- Remove and place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Blend ranch ingredients (make sure you soak and drain your cashews in hot water for 10-20 minutes first to soften them). Add water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serve hot peppers with ranch dip.