Who needs a sandwich when you can grab one of these make ahead peanut butter and jelly cups? Seriously, these little guys are so delicious it’s hard to stop at just one. I made them grain and refined sugar free so they are a fun treat for the whole family!
I used my favorite creamy organic peanut butter and paired it with my homemade fig jam (recipe here.) But feel free to use your favorite brand and any store bought jelly that you like.
I used Peanut Butter Nutosla as the base. Nutsola is a fun blend of dates, nuts and spices that is gluten free, grain free, and refined sugar free. It makes a delicious crust and topping. You can purchase it here.
These cups are only mildly sweet. If you want them sweeter you can add a bit more jam or even add a bit of honey or maple syrup to the peanut butter mix itself. I didn’t think it needed. it but feel free to play around with the recipe.
I mixed my peanut butter with coconut oil to give it more of a smooth consistency, but there is a bit of coconut flavor to it so feel free to use another oil or just leave the peanut butter as is if you don’t like coconut.
I store these little peanut butter and jelly cups in the freezer and they are perfect to pull out for a quick after school treat for kids. I made mine in mini muffin cups so they are bite-size but you could also put them in regular muffin cups.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cups
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbs coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup jelly or jam
- 1 1/4 cup Peanut Butter Nutsola
- Mix peanut butter and coconut oil until well blended and smooth.
- Line mini muffin tin with mini muffin liners. Then mix 1c Nutsola with 1tbs water until well blended and moist. Press a spoonful in the bottom of each tin to form a crust.
- Top each crust with some peanut butter until the cup is 3/4 full.
- Put a dollop of jam in the center of each cup. Use a toothpick to stir it in a bit.
- With the remaining Nutsola, sprinkle over the top.
- Put the whole pan in the freezer for a few hours until firm. Serve frozen or let sit out for 5 minutes for a softer treat.