Instead of traditional pumpkin pie this year, I opted for super simple Paleo Pumpkin Pie Bars (forks optional!) The sweet pumpkin filling pairs perfectly with a buttery almond crust. This is the first year I baked my pie in bars and let me tell you, I don’t think I’m going back. First, you don’t need a pie tin. Second, they are easier to cut and serve. And third, you can eat them with your hands. Enough said.
For the first time ever, I saw evaporated coconut milk in the store. I used it in this recipe along with pumpkin, egg, maple syrup and spices which gives this pie the most decadent flavor. I highly recommend you give it a try!
The crust is super simple too: almond flour, baking powder, butter, maple syrup and you’re golden. You really can’t go wrong with this one.
But, of course, the star of the show is pumpkin. Check out my favorite pumpkin soup recipe and learn a little more about the nutrients in pumpkin here.
Health Benefits of Pumpkin
- Shields against cancer
- Promotes heart health
- Assists in regularity and eases constipation
- Protects the skin from UV rays
- Boosts your immune system
- Improves mood
- Aides in weight management
Overall pumpkin is low in calories, high in fiber and a great nutrient dense addition to any diet. So, less guilt this Thanksgiving please. Just enjoy the pie!
Paleo Pumpkin Pie Bars
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbs butter melted
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste optional
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup evaporated coconut milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbs pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Mix all crust ingredients. Line a 9×9 pan in parchment paper. Press the crust into the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly.
- With a mixer, beat pumpkin, coconut milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, baking soda and spices. Pour over the crust. Bake an additional 25-35 minutes, or until center is firm and a knife inserted into the pie comes out clean.
- Store in the fridge. Best is served cold the next day with your choice of whipped topping on top.
Nutrients. 2017. Vitamin C and Immune Function.
Clinical Nutrition. 2013. Association of carotenoids with risk of gastric cancer: A meta-analysis.
The Acacemic Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012. β-Carotene and other carotenoids in protection from sunlight.