Paleo Peach Basil Chicken Salad (GF/DF/Paleo)
Are you a cilantro lover or hater? I personally love the herb, but I have lots of friends that think it tastes like soap. It is one of the most polarizing herbs I have yet to come across. To me, the more the better which is why I have quite a bit of cilantro in this dish. Plus, there are some really interesting and unique aspects to cilantro.
It can help you detox heavy metals by pulling them out of your tissues and binding to them. It can protect you against oxidative stress. Ease anxiety and promote sleep. Lower blood sugar, protect the heart, settle the stomach, prevent UTI’s, prevent colon cancer, and reduce neurological inflammation. It’s a very medicinal and well studied herb, but most importantly, I love it. I throw it in or on top of as many dishes as I can. That being said, if you don’t like it, just substitute more basil.
Speaking of basil, if you have never tried peaches and basil before, I can tell you the flavor combo is on point. It is one of my favorite combinations to use for summer recipes. Here I use it in a simple salad, but you can also grill peaches with basil.
This chicken salad is very versatile. I can eat is straight out of the bowl, or throw it on top of a few sweet potato toasts and drizzle with honey and pine nuts for a fancy “sandwich-like” lunch.
This chicken salad uses the creaminess of the coconut yogurt and avocado mixed with fresh summer peaches and herbs to create the perfect blend. It’s such a refreshing meal. Perfect when it’s still warm out!
Paleo Summer Peach Basil Chicken Salad
- 2 cups shredded chicken leftovers or rotisserie work in a pinch
- 1 peach, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (I used basil and cilantro)
- 6 oz plain coconut yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups mixed salad greens, diced
- If you need to cook your chicken, the fastest way is to saute in oil on both sides until brown. Add about 1c water, cover with a lid and simmer until done (10-15 minutes depending on what you have). Then shred with 2 forks.
- Mix coconut yogurt with fresh herbs and onion. Add lemon and salt to taste.
- Mix chicken with salad greens, peaches and avocados. Pour the dressing over the top and mix all together. Serve plain or in a sandwich or wrap.
Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/277627.php
Dr. Axe. https://draxe.com/nutrition/herbs/cilantro-benefits/