Do you love the original Almond Joy & Mounds bars? Remember this commercial jingle…
“Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don’t. Almond Joy’s have nuts. Mounds don’t.”– Almond Joy Commercial circa 1980s
Or does that totally age me?! Seriously though, I love Almond Joys and Mounds bars. I am a huge fan of coconut so of course I had to recreate this one in a healthy version: The Paleo Mounds Bar.
They are gluten free, refined sugar free, dairy free, paleo and vegan friendly and my absolute favorite. Store them in the freezer and pull them out when you want something sweet. I have even chopped them up and put them over cashew milk ice cream for an extra decadent treat.
I love to sneak healthy protein into food for my kids. Collagen powder is easy to digest and great for hair, skin, nails and joints. It’s also important for immune system functioning and won’t spike blood sugar like some of the plant protein powders do.
To read a little more about the health benefits of collagen and see if it’s right for your family, click here.
This is the kind of bar your whole family can enjoy guilt free. Mom win.
Paleo Collagen Mounds Bars
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
Coconut Fudge (2nd layer)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 scoop collagen powder if vegan, choose plant based or omit
- 3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbs coconut oil or organic non hydrogenated shortening
For the coconut base:
- Mix in a bowl. Press into parchment lined 8×8 pan and put in the fridge.
For the coconut fudge:
- Heat in a saucepan until full combined and pour over the coconut base. Freeze until firm. Cut into bars.
For the chocolate coating:
- Melt chocolate and oil in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Dip bars into melted chocolate and put on a plate lined with parchment paper. Freeze until firm.