I know. I know. It looks like a salad. And it kind of is. I can’t help it. I try to add in veggies with all my meals and I also like to throw everything on top of salad. It just makes it more interesting. But don’t fret. These are perfectly delicious on their own. These paleo fish and chips are tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside. I paired them with a sweet tangy dipping sauce and some roasted sweet potato fries. Comfort food is only 30 minutes away!
The best part about this meal is that the dipping sauce can double as a salad dressing. I just drizzled it over the whole thing, added a bit of olive oil and viola! Honey mustard dressing. Gotta love a two-fer!
My kids love this meal. They adore the sweet sauce with the fish and the “fries” and always eat the entire serving I feed them. You can either serve this as finger food, or over a salad with a fork for a more elegant dish. I served mine over a salad, but the kids got theirs separated.
Now, my secret to the perfect roasted sweet potato fries is this: coconut oil, cinnamon, and a really hot oven to get them crispy. The coconut oil and cinnamon really bring out the sweetness in the sweet potato and my family just can’t get enough of them. I make them at least twice a week like this so you know they’re good!
When purchasing, cooking and using cinnamon always buy Organic Ceylon Cinnamon. It is different than other varieties. It is lighter in color, texture and has a more delicate flavor. The reason for this distinctive difference lies in its important health benefits that the other varieties do not have. Also, regular cassia cinnamon has high levels of coumarin. Coumarin is toxic to the liver so it is not recommended to take this cinnamon in high doses. However, Ceylon cinnamon only has trace amounts of coumarin, meaning it is safe to ingest at higher doses.
Ceylon Cinnamon Health Benefits
- Helps manage blood pressure
- Helps control blood glucose in the brain which is preventative to Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease
- Cognition enhancer
- Triggers the fat burning process to help you loose weight
- Effective treatment for diabetes in lowering blood glucose
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- Anti-cancer, specifically colon cancer
- Improves cholesterol levels
- Lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease
These are all great reasons to keep using Ceylon cinnamon for all your fall and winter baking. Not only will it help prevent that post meal blood sugar spike, but you get a whole host of health benefits along with it.
Wild Caught vs Sustainable Farmed Fish
People always ask me about the difference between wild caught and farmed fish and which they should buy. Don’t get me wrong. Farmed fish has good intentions. They are trying to prevent the problem of over fishing, but unfortunately their standards are not up to par. They have polluted, chemically laden, less nutritious fish as a result of how they are raised. Therefore, I always choose wild caught. If you want to learn a little more about what is wrong with farmed fish today, check out this blog post.
Taking a look at mercury levels is important too. You don’t want to be eating a lot of fish high in mercury or you will end up with a toxicity that is hard to get rid of. Instead, take a quick look at a list of fish from lowest to greatest mercury levels. Go to the National Defense Council website here.
Okay, I think we’ve got all the bases covered. Now go enjoy this Paleo Fish and Chips: a healthy twist on the classic!!
Paleo Fish and Chips
- 4 1" thick wild caught cod fillets, cut into strips or bites
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp ceylon cinnamon
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
Optional Salad Ingredients
- 4 cups organic mixed greens
- 1 cup organic cherry tomatoes
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 cup baby carrots, sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil, to drizzle
- Lay out 2 baking sheets and line them with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl, beat eggs.
- In another bowl, mix almond flour, garlic powder, cumin and salt.
- Peel and cut potatoes into "fries" Toss with coconut oil, spread across one of the baking sheets and sprinkle with cinnamon. Place in the bottom third of the oven and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dip each cod piece in egg then roll in almond flour and place on the second baking sheet.
- After 10-15 minutes (or when one side has browned) flip the sweet potatoes and move them to a higher rack. Add the fish to the lower rack and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip over after 5 minutes to ensure they brown on each side. If after 8 or 9 minutes, they are not browning, throw them under the broiler 4 inches away from the heat source to give them a nice crust.
- Meanwhile, stir Dijon and honey. If your honey has thickened or crystallized, just melt it first.
- Prep your salad ingredients while the food is roasting. Serve with sweet potatoes and fish sticks on top. Drizzle with honey mustard dipping sauce (or serve it separate as finger food and dip it). You can also drizzle the salad with olive oil if you desire.
Evidence Based Complimentary Alternative Medicine. 2014. Cinnamon: A Multifaceted Medicinal Plant.
Pharmacognosy Research. 2015. Cinnamon: Mystic powers of a minute ingredient.