We are going through a heat wave in Arizona and I refuse to turn on the oven. So out comes the super simple stovetop meals like this incredible paleo coconut shrimp. When you go to a restaurant and order coconut shrimp, you end up with a plate full of inflammatory industrialized seed oils, farmed shrimp and some unhealthy breading. But at home you can make them with nourishing ingredients, healthy unrefined coconut oil and the much superior wild caught shrimp.
For a few more delicious sea food recipes and an explanation as to why I buy wild caught seafood check out these two posts:
For this particular recipe I used Wild Caught Argentinian Shrimp from Trader Joe’s. Caution: They come looking like they are cooked but they are actually raw. They are a reddish pink shrimp and my mom thought they were fully cooked and ate a raw one out of the bag once. Yuck! LOL! So just watch to see when the little tails curl up and that means the shrimp is done.
Now for the delicious and super simple paleo coconut shrimp recipe. This one you may have to make over and over. Because I am staying away from the oven and all things hot, I paired it with a simple summer salad with honey mustard dressing. Delish!
Paleo Coconut Shrimp
- 1 lb wild caught shrimp cleaned, peeled and deveined
- 2 eggs, beat
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
Optional Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce / Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup high quality olive oil
- 2 tbs yellow mustard
- 2 tbs dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbs unseasoned rice wine vinegar
Optional Side Salad
- 4 cups organic salad greens
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups snap peas
- Place beaten eggs in a shallow bowl.
- In another bowl, mix coconut flour, shredded coconut and salt.
- Heat half the coconut oil in a large pan over medium high heat until shimmering.
- Dip each shrimp in egg, then into coconut mixture. Use your fingers to coat well. Then place each on the hot pan.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Place on paper towel lined plate to absorb some of the grease.
- Meanwhile, whisk all ingredients in a bowl for salad dressing / dip.
- Assemble salad, top with coconut shrimp and drizzle with dressing.