I have to be honest with you. Salad is not my favorite. It’s not that I don’t a enjoy a good salad every now and again, but it’s usually not my first choice on a menu. This Chinese Chicken Salad, however, is a game changer. It has the perfect combination of sweet + salty and offers various textures which make it so much more interesting than your plain ol’ everyday salad. Now this is not your typical industrialized seed oil and gluten laden Chinese Chicken Salad. This baby is loaded with antioxidants, vitamin C, healthy fats and sustainable protein. And best of all, it’s a no bake meal so it won’t heat up your house on those hot summer days.
I poached my chicken because it’s fast, easy, and won’t heat up the house. However, feel free to grill, bake, or just use rotisserie chicken from the store if you are in a pinch.
I also used some of my favorite salad veggies and snuck in some pan grilled asparagus for an extra nutritional punch, but feel free to substitute whatever you have on hand. My favorite part of the whole salad is the fried shallots and toasted almonds on top. If you haven’t tried frying your own shallots or toasting your own almonds in butter, stop now and do this! They are absolutely meal-changing. You will want to put them on top of everything you eat!
Paleo Chinese Chicken Salad
For the Chicken
- 2 organic free range chicken breasts
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and diced
For the Salad
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 2/3 cups broccoli slaw
- 1/4 head red cabbage, sliced thin
- 4 tangerines, peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 bunch asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed off
- 1 tbs avocado oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tbs Kerrygold butter
For the Dressing
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice from 1 lime
- 2 tbs gluten free tamari if soy free, sub coconut aminos
- 1 tbs agave syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
To Poach the Chicken
- Place all chicken ingredients in a saucepan just large enough to hold the chicken breasts in a single layer. Add water until just covered. Bring to a boil on high heat, then turn down to a simmer and cover. Let simmer 10-15 minutes or until done and easily shreds with a fork.
To Make the Dressing
- Blend dressing ingredients by whisking in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
To Make Fried Shallots for Toppping
- In a small pan, heat avocado oil over medium high heat until hot. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep brown. This may take up to 5 minutes. Remove and place on paper towel to drain the excess oil. Sprinkle with sea salt.
To Make Toasted Almonds
- In another small saucepan or skillet, heat butter on medium high heat. Add almonds, and stir frequently for 5 minutes or until almonds become fragrant and toasted. Remove and place on paper towel to drain excess butter. Sprinkle with sea salt.
To Cook Asparagus
- Heat 1tbs oil in a grill pan (or skillet) over medium high heat. Add asparagus and cook until charred on one side, then flip and cook until charred on the other side. Cut into bite size pieces.
To Assemble Salad
- Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl: greens, cabbage, slaw, and tangerines. Toss with some of the salad dressing. Divide between 2 plates. Top with chicken. Then drizzle with the remainder of the dressing. At the end, top with toasted almonds and shallots.