The weather is finally cooling off and it is the perfect time to create a big batch of this Paleo beef stew with sweet potatoes, carrots, and celery root. I love creating different versions of the classic and this one is absolutely perfect. You get the heartiness from a delicious slab of grass fed and finished chuck roast, the sweetness from the sweet potatoes, and the health benefits of all the other veggies hidden inside.
Speaking of health benefits, do you know much about celery root?
Celeriac (or celery root as it’s commonly called) is from the same family as celery but it’s actually a completely different plant. The edible part of the plant is the root which resembles a large turnip but has a mild celery flavor. It’s loaded in vitamins: C, K, B-6, phosphorus, potassium and fiber. The ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Italians used this vegetable for medicinal and religious purposes.
The Health Benefits of Celery Root:
- Improves bone health
- Can lower the risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Can lower the risk of High Blood Pressure
- Considered a bitter tonic which and aids in digestion (and is a proven remedy for dyspepsia)
- Can reduce Parkinson Symptoms
This paleo beef stew is loaded in celery root. If you have never had it, give it a try! You might just come to love it as I have.
Seasoned with garlic, thyme and bay leaves there is nothing better on a cool day. And if you haven’t topped your stew with pomegranate seeds this season, you must give it a try! This little sweet citrus topping is an unexpected surprise. Plus my kids love to dig them out with their little spoons!
If you want to check out more comforting soups this season, click here.
Or if you want to learn a little more about the health benefits of grass fed beef over conventional, go here.
Paleo Beef Stew with Sweet Potatoes and Celery Root
- 1 2-3lb grass fed and finished chuck roast, cubed
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced let sit out 10min before cooking to increase allicin content
- 6 orange carrots, scrubbed and sliced do not peel
- 2 celery roots, peeled and cubed
- 2 large white sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 4 cups organic chicken broth or bone broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp thyme more to taste
- 2 tsp garlic powder more to taste
- 1 tbs sea salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- In a large stock pot, add oil and turn up to medium high heat. Add roast and cook until browned on both sides.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add veggies, broth, and seasonings. Turn up to high until the soup boils, then cover and turn down to medium low to let it simmer.
- Continue to stir occasionally until the meat is tender and the veggies are cooked through, about 30-45 minutes.
- Serve hot with cilantro and pomegranate seeds on top (optional)
Medical News Today. What are the Health Benefits of Celeriac?
Food Facts by MERCOLA. What is Celeriac Good For?