Now, let me tell you a little secret about eating healthy home cooked meals during the week: 30 minute meals. Seriously, the faster the better. I am all about fast, simple, delicious recipes that the whole family enjoys. And that is exactly what I had in mind when I created this delicious mahi mahi with apple jicama slaw and pomegranates.
I am throwing pomegranates on everything this fall. Because… why not?! Right?! They are colorful and delicious and go with just about everything. Plus they are extremely high in vitamin C, vitamin K + many minterals and antioxidants. Several studies have shown them to be protective against cancer as well. All the reason to pick some up while they are in season this fall!
Another health protective food in this dish is jicama and apples. To learn more about the health benefits of apples, check out THIS POST or SUBSCRIBE to download my top 10 tips on getting 100x more nutrients out of the foods you are already eating.
But on to jicama. The star of the show. This root veggie is not very popular in North America but boy is it delicious. It looks like a turnip, has the consistency of a pear but tastes like a mild apple. If you haven’t tried it, pick one up, peel off all the thick brown skin, and taste a slice raw. It’s my daughters absolutely favorite raw veggie!
Health Benefits of Jicama
- High in Vitamin C, an immune system protecting antioxidant
- Good source of potassium
- Loaded with inulin, a specific type of soluble fiber that fuels healthy gut bacteria growth (and as we now know, health starts in the gut!)
- Protective against colon cancer
I absolutely love a simple baked fish with a crunchy jicama slaw on top. It brings a bit of sweetness and crunch to the whole dish. I basically created it thinking of a “tacoless fish taco” but you could totally add some corn or cassava tortillas to this for your Taco Tuesday.
Paleo Mahi Mahi with Apple Jicama Slaw
- 4 4-6oz wild caught mahi mahi fillets
- 1 tbs spice rub (see notes below)
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Apple Jicama Slaw
- 1 small jicama, peeled and shredded
- 1 large apple, shredded
- 1/2 cup broccoli slaw optional
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded optional
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 avocados, diced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Top fish with some seasoning. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until flakes easily with a fork (a good rule of thumb is 10 minutes for every inch thickness of the fillet)
- Meanwhile, throw your apple and jicama in a food processor with the shredding blade attacment. Pour in a large bowl.
- Add broccoli slaw and shredded cabbage if using. Toss with olive oil and lemon juice.
- When the fish is done, plate it. Top with slaw, cilantro, avocado and pomegranates on top.
- Alternatively you could serve this in a corn or cassava taco. Enjoy!
- 2tsp salt
- 1tbs cumin
- 1tbs ancho chile powder
- 1/2tbs garlic powder
- 1tbs oregano
- 1tbs paprika
- 1/2tbs onion powder
Mercola. Food Facts. What are pomegranates good for?
Mercola. Food Facts. What is jicama good for?