Anyone else obsessed with the Acai bowls from Nekter? Me too. But they are typically all fruit and sugar and leave me starving an hour later. Plus they are expensive, especially when you are buying for yourself and your whole family. Hello $50 ice cream. LOL! That’s why I went on a mission to create a balanced, superfood loaded, acai bowl recipe at home.
I started with unsweetened acai packets I found at Trader Joe’s. Actually this was the inspiration for the whole thing. Then I added some frozen fruit for texture and flavor. The banana makes it creamy and smooth. The wild blueberries up the antioxidant value. Threw in some unsweetened almond milk yogurt for gut health, organic blue spirulina for gut and brain health, and loaded it up with marine collagen for extra protein and join/nail/skin/hair support.
I topped it with my homemade Gluten Free Hemp Seed Granola. If you haven’t made this yet, you need to stop immediately and go to that first. It’s seriously like crack. You’ll never go back to store bought granola again. Ever.
Then I added some drippy nut butter (almond or peanut butter depending on preference) and lots of diced fresh fruit. Drizzled the whole thing with agave for the kids who like theirs extra sweet and – viola! – now you have a healthy balanced meal at home.
Vegan Substitution: Use a vegan protein powder instead of marine collagen.
Paleo Substitution: Use paleo granola by toasting up some nuts, seeds and coconut without the oats.
Homemade Acai Bowl
- 1 frozen unsweetened acai packet Trader Joe's
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant based yogurt I used Silk Almond Milk Yogurt
- Splash almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 tsp blue spirulina From The Reserve
- 1/4 cup marine collagen Can sub vegan protein powder
- 1/4 cup diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 diced banana
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free Hemp Seed Granola See Recipe in post. If paleo, omit oats.
- 1/4 cup drippy nut butter
- 2 tbs agave, to drizzle optional
- In a high speed blender, blend all acai ingredients. Start with just a splash of almond milk and add a bit more if it's too thick.
- Serve topped with diced fruit, nut butter, granola and agave drizzle.