Healthy Breakfast Tostadas
I have 10 chickens and – wow – they produce a lot of eggs! So I’m always looking for ways to make my meals with eggs instead of meat. These super simple and tasty breakfast tostadas hit the spot! They only take about 10 minutes to make start to finish which also makes them an excellent at home lunch or dinner for the whole family.
Health Benefits of Eggs
Did you know eggs are one of the most nutritious foods on the planet? They contain a little bit of almost every nutrient you need. They have all the essential amino acids to create a complete protein, which is perfect for vegetarians. Omega-3 enriched eggs are even better! Fun fact: I give my chickens ground flaxseed to boost the omega-3 content in their eggs.
Now, many people are scared of eggs because they are high in cholesterol. But it has been disproven that cholesterol in eggs increases cholesterol in the blood. In fact, the liver simply produces less cholesterol to even it out.
On the other hand, they DO raise good cholesterol, HDL. A study of people eating 2 eggs a day for 6 weeks raised their good cholesterol by 10%
Eggs are a good source of choline, which is a difficult nutrient to get in our foods today. It is needed to build cell membranes and assists in signaling molecules in the brain.
Eggs also appear to change the pattern of LDL particles from small and dense (linked to heart disease) to large and fluffy LDL particles (heart protective.) So even if they raise the LDL slightly, the type of LDL it raises is the good kind which is preventative for heart disease.
Additionally, eggs contain powerful antioxidants called lutein and zeaxanthin which accumulate in the retina of the eye and can reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
Now keep in mind not all eggs are created equal. Pastured eggs or omega-3 enriched eggs are known to help lower triglycerides in the blood, improving heart health. So if you don’t have chickens like me, splurge for the higher quality eggs to get the most nutrient density.
Now back to these delicious breakfast tostadas, loaded in omega 3 enriched eggs.
Easy Breakfast Tostadas
- 4 corn tortillas
- avocado oil spray
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbs chopped onion
- 1 lime
- 1 can black beans
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray tostadas with avocado oil, place on baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse black beans and then heat over medium heat in a pan with a sprinkle of cumin until warmed through.
- Mix tomatoes, onion, a handful of cilantro, a pinch of salt in a small bowl. This is your pico de gallo.
- Mix mashed avocado, pinch of garlic powder, pinch of salt, pinch of cumin, handful of cilantro in another small bowl with a squeeze of lime. This is your guacamole.
- To cook eggs, spray avocado spray into a nonstick pan. Crack eggs into the pan. Cook over medium high heat. When the egg whites start to harden after a few minutes, add a few tbs of water into the pan and then cover and continue to cook until desired doneness. I like mine very runny at the yolk but you can cook as little or as long as you like. Do this step last.
- To assemble tostadas, put 1/4cup black beans over tostada. Cover with salsa and guac. Top with fried egg and enjoy!
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biology, 1996 Oct;16(10):1222-8. Dietary cholesterol feeding suppresses human cholesterol synthesis measured by deuterium incorporation and urinary mevalonic acid levels.
J Intern Med, 1994 Mar;235(3):249-51. Egg consumption and high-density-lipoprotein cholesterol.
Am J Clin Nutr, 1999 Aug;70(2):247-51. Lutein and zeaxanthin concentrations in plasma after dietary supplementation with egg yolk.