Grass Fed Steak Tacos w Peach Avocado Salsa (GF/DF/Paleo)
If I had to pick one food to eat for the rest of my life I would choose tacos 100% of the time. I really love tacos. Steak tacos. Chicken tacos. Fish tacos. Vegetarian tacos. I love them all. This is a recipe for a classic steak taco with a summery peach avocado salsa, roasted poblanos, and a lime sour cream drizzle. It’s a 30 minute meal that is easy to make for a crowd or just for your family on a busy weeknight.
Always choose grass fed beef. Why?
The Importance of Choosing Grass Fed Beef
- Feedlots are crowded, unsanitary and a miserable life for the animal. Grass fed cows can roam the pasture and are not subject to standing in their own increment for long periods of time.
- Antibiotics. Because of the unsanitary conditions of feedlots, conventional cows are frequently given broad spectrum antibiotics to keep them healthy until they reach mature size. In fact 80% of the antibiotics produced in the United States are given to farm animals. What is the problem with this? Well, the antibiotics are left in the animals waste which then gets into our soils and our water. So we end up getting them too. This contributes to antibiotic resistance in both animals as well as humans.
- Grass fed beef builds soil with a balanced ecosystem while conventionally raised cows destroys it.
- Grass fed beef is more nutrient dense. There is a healthier balance of fatty acids, higher levels of Omega-3s, CLA and carotenoids.
I know it’s more expensive but it is important that we are supporting the right farmers to build sustainability in our ecosystem while improving the life of the animal as well as ourselves. It has to come from us. Spend more for higher quality meat and eat less of it. That’s what we do to balance things out.
Now for the mouth watering steak tacos…
Grass Fed Steak Tacos with Peach Avocado Salsa and Roasted Poblanos
- 1 lb grass fed and finished steak
- 4 poblano peppers, cut in half
- 2 limes
- 1 peach, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream omit if dairy free
- 8 corn tortillas or cassava tortillas if paleo
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- Season steaks with salt and pepper. Grill over medium high heat until desired doneness. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Two choices with the poblanos. You can either throw them on the grill or broil them in the oven until blackened. Then slice.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa. Toss some peach with avocado, onion, lime and cilantro. Add a bit of salt to taste and maybe some garlic powder.
- Mix some sour cream with the other lime juice from the 2nd lime.
- Warm tortillas over the stove, on a tortilla warmer until starting to brown on both sides. Top with sliced steak, poblanos, salsa and sour cream.