Today is the first official day of fall and to celebrate I made a bit batch of gluten free apple cider donuts! I also diffused cinnamon and clove essential oil all day, decorated the house with pumpkins, and wore sweats even though it’s still 90 degrees.
These donuts have a mildly sweet apple flavor. For a more concentrated flavor of apple, I recommend doubling the apple cider in the recipe to 2c and boiling it down to 1 cup and cooling before using (this will increase the sugar content of the donut but will also give it a stronger apple flavor).
I like mine more of a mildly sweet cinnamon apple flavor so that is how I made them.
Whether you prefer your donuts glazed or dunked in cinnamon and sugar, I’ve gotcha covered! I am going to give you an option to do either one and both are delicious.
Gluten Free Apple Cider Donuts
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free 1:1 flour Bob's Red Mill is great
- 1 tsp ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 8 tbs butter, melted I used Kerrygold
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs, whites separated
- 1 cup apple cider
For Glazed Topping
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs apple cider
For Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1/3 cup granulated or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbs butter, melted
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- Mix remaining wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately. Then add wet to dry and mix well.
- Fold in egg whites until fully combined.
- Spray a nonstick donut pan with oil spray (I used avocado spray).
- Place batter in an icing piping bag or a ziploc freezer bag and cut the tip so there is an opening the size of a penny.
- Pipe each donut into the pan, leaving the batter about 2/3 full (if it's too full it will close over during backing and if it is not full enough it won't resemble a donut)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before icing.
- Mix glaze ingredients and dip one side of the donut into the glaze and set out to dry a bit.
If using cinnamon sugar coating.
- Either dip or brush butter on the tops of each donut. Then dip in a bowl of the cinnamon sugar mix.