These Fried Cinnamon Apple Bars are the best snack on the plant. I’m not even kidding. They taste like apple pie in your mouth, but are actually gluten free, refined sugar free and 100% healthy! My kids and I devoured them in 5 minutes flat.
First I made some vanilla almond Nutsola Bars. Nutsola is a fun blend of dates and nuts. You mix it with a little water, and then put into a mold and bake into a bar. You can purchase a bag here.
If you don’t have Nutsola, you could also do the same thing with medjool dates, nuts, and vanilla bean paste. Put it in the food processor (start with a 50/50 ratio of nuts to dates) until crumbles form. Add a tablespoon of water or two. Then press into a mold or a cookie cutter and bake at 250 degrees for 2 hours. Let cool and proceed to the rest of the steps.
Or, another cheater method would be to use Autumn’s Gold Grain Free Granola Bars (which can be found online or at Costco.) These are also delicous and have a similar consistency as the Nutsola Bars.
Now for the real star of the show:
Fried Cinnamon Apples
The ceylon cinnamon will help prevent any blood sugar spikes from the natural sugars in the apple and dates. Read more about this super spice here.
The apples are also nutritious and delicious. Learn a little more about the health benefits of apples here.
Coconut oil gives you a healthy dose of fat. And the cacao nibs increase the antioxidant and fiber value of the whole dish. Perfection!
Want to learn a little more about how to select, store and prepare your foods to get the most nutrients out of them? Then check out my free guide here.
Feeling good about the ingredients? Me too. Now let’s get to it.
Fried Cinnamon Apple Bars
- 1 large apple, sliced
- 1/4 tsp ceylon cinnamon more to taste
- 2 tbs organic unrefined coconut oil
- 1 tbs cacao nibs
- 4 Vanilla Almond Nutsola Bars Or other crunchy grain free bar. I also like Autumn's Gold.
- 2 tbs creamy almond butter I used Trader Joe's Brand
- Heat coconut oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add apple slices in a single layer. Sprinkle with cinnamon and cook until lightly browned on one side, 3-5 minutes. Then flip and cook on the other side until very soft. Remove from heat.
- Take your favorite crunchy grain free bar and spread it with almond butter. Then top with fried apple slices and sprinkle with more cinnamon (if desired) and cacao nibs. Eat warm.