These double chocolate protein donuts are so east to make, my 7 year old made them by herself. Twice! Because apparently 6 donuts isn’t enough for a family of four. LOL!
These donuts are an almond flour base, loaded in healthy fats like coconut oil and have a fun protein packed addition: Vanilla protein powder. This make each donut have about 10 grams of blood stabilizing protein. A much better choice than your typical sugar and industrialized seed oil loaded donut shop donut.
For the protein powder, I used Nuzest vegan pea based protein in Vanilla (use code “thenutramom” to save) but any vanilla or collagen protein should work in the recipe just fine. Check out some of my favorite brands here.
They are gluten free and dairy free. They can be modified to be refined sugar free (there a little powdered sugar in the glaze.) I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
Double Chocolate Protein Donuts
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder I used Nuzest
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tbs almond milk
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a donut pan with a little coconut oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and mix with an electric hand mixer until well combined.
- Scoop dough into a pastry bag. Cut a half inch hole at the bottom and pipe into donut pan so that the dough is evenly spread around each donut.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until when you press with your fingers the donut bounces back.
- Let rest for a couple of minutes. Then turn pan over to remove the donuts. Let cool while preparing your glaze.
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients. Heat on medium-low and stir frequently until fully dissolved.
- Pour into a small bowl (but big enough to dip the donut)
- Using the underside of the donut (the pretty side), dip each donut in the chocolate and then place on a plate to dry. Sprinkle with sprinkles if desired while wet.