Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and I am ALL ABOUT the chocolate strawberry combo. After my food processor caught on fire a few weeks ago (yikes!) I got really excited about the new one I just purchased and had to make these Chocolate Strawberry Bliss Balls right away.
They have a Valentine’s feel to them but are gluten free, grain free, refined sugar free, and loaded in nutrients. I even added collagen powder to mine for a real one-two punch. Collagen is an important protein our body makes on it’s own out of the amino acids we eat, but as we get older, we make less of it. This is one of the many reasons why I supplement with it and add it to my recipes. It’s also great for hair, nails, skin and joints. It’s also one of the most digestible proteins so it’s good for sensitive tummies. To learn all about the different collagen types and see if it’s right for you, check out my post here.
Now, as the base I used organic raw cashews and organic Medjool dates. The reason I chose cashews is that they have a mild delicate flavor that wouldn’t overpower the strawberries and chocolate. Medjool dates are uber sweet and uber soft, making them the perfect food for any bliss ball creation. Regular dates are much tougher and less sweet so if you opt to use them, try soaking them in hot water for a few minutes first and double the amount.
Next I added Ancient Nutrition Unflavored Mulit Collagen Protein because it has all 5 types of collagen and creates a nice binder for the bliss balls. If you are vegan or eating a plant based diet, try the Sun Warrior Vegan Collagen Peptides in Natural.
To give this a fun Valentine’s feel, I added some organic cacao powder, organic freeze dried strawberries and some chopped 100% cacao unsweetened dark chocolate. It ended up being a tad dry so at the end I squeezed in 1 tablespoon agave and Viola! perfection.
Chocolate Strawberry Bliss Balls
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 7 Medjool dates, chopped See Notes Below
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 28 grams 100% cacao unsweetened dark chocolate, chopped Mine was the equivalent of 2 squares
- 1 scoop collagen powder I use Ancient Nutrition Unflavored Multi-Collagen. If vegan, try Sun Warrior Collagen Peptides in Natural.
- 1 tbs golden agave syrup
- In a food processor, pulse cashews until finely chopped.
- Add dates and the remaining ingredients (except agave) and pulse until smooth.
- You want a sticky dough. If it's a bit dry, add a tablespoon of agave. Continue to mix.
- Scoop out dough in tablespoons and roll them into balls with your hands. Store in the fridge until ready to eat.