Anyone else a sweet and spicy fan? It’s one of my favorite flavor combinations. This delicious sweet potato soup is naturally sweet from the sweet potatoes, spicy from the chipotle chilies, creamy from the coconut milk and 100% comforting any time of year!
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are not only delicious, they are known for several health benefits including:
- High in free radical fighting antioxidants
- Supports gut health
- Cancer fighting
- Supports healthy vision
- Improves brain function
- Supports the immune system
Sweet potatoes are loaded in nutrients, vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. One cup of mashed sweet potatoes has seven times your daily requirement of beta carotene. They are also high in vitamin A. There are even studies showing that eating sweet potatoes improves the microbiota in your gut. No kidding! It’s well known that many “blue zones” (areas in the world with little modern diseases) eat plenty of tubers like sweet potatoes. They have a slow releasing carbohydrate that won’t spike your blood sugar. This simple sweet potato soup is a great way to enjoy them year round!
Looking for other delicious soup recipes? Go here.
Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 mild sweet onion, diced
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1-2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2+ tsp adobo sauce from the can
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp course ground sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup sprouted pumpkin seeds (optional) for garnish
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and saute until soft and translucent.
- Add sweet potatoes, stock, 1 or 2 chipotle chiles (depending how spicy you like your soup) and 2+ teaspoons adobo sauce. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to medium low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are very soft and falling apart when pierced with a fork.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Alternatively, you can blend this in a blender with a vented lid.
- Stir in coconut milk at the end and adjust the salt to taste. Serve hot with a bit of swirled adobo sauce on top and some sprouted pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top.
World J Gastroenerology. 2013. Anticancer Effects of Sweet Potato Protein on Human Colorectal Cancer Cells.
Food and Nutrition Research. 2015. The influences of purple sweet potato anthocyanin on the growth characteristics of human retinal pigment epithelial cells.