If you ask me what my favorite soup is, 9 times out of 10 I will tell you Chicken Tortilla Soup. But really, what I am referring to is the toppings. I load mine up with diced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and fresh baked corn tortilla chips. Add a squeeze of lime and I’m in heaven!
This soup looks fancy, but it’s really just a basic recipe. Onion, garlic, peppers, tomato and diced chicken are at the base of it all. I saute them first to give everything a rich flavor. Add some broth and Mexican seasonings and bring the whole thing to a simmer. I always make a huge batch so it feeds us for at least 2 meals.
If you are strict Paleo or Whole 30, just omit the corn tortilla strips and the optional shredded cheese and you are good to go. I promise it’s still delicious. I personally have my chicken tortilla soup without the cheese (as pictured) but my family loves shredded gooey cheese in theirs. They love scraping the melted cheese off their spoons. Add whatever toppings you like!
Now if you have an autoimmune condition and are looking at avoiding nightshades, you may want to take a peak at my AIP friendly Paleo Beef Stew instead, which is nightshade free.
But if you aren’t having autoimmune issues, this soup is for you. Trust me. It’s going to be one of your favorites!
Quick Health Tips
- For joint skin nail and hair health, use organic free range bone broth instead of chicken broth.
- For added antioxidant protection, leave garlic sitting out minced for 10 minutes before cooking to increase its allicin content.
- To avoid the antibiotics and for animal welfare, please use free range organic chicken. Bonus points if you get it from a farmer or it’s animal welfare certified.
- To avoid pesticides, please always purchase organic fruit and veggies. Especially the dirty dozen.
The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 3 lb organic free range chicken, cubed
- 1 tbs avocado oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 large green bell peppers, minced
- 2 large orange bell peppers, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 6-8 cups organic free range chicken or bone broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt more to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into strips If paleo or whole 30, omit
- avocado oil spray
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocado, diced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 cup shredded grass fed cheese If paleo or whole 30, omit
- In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook chicken until browned on each side. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion and peppers back to the stockpot. Cook until soft. Add garlic and cook a minute or two more.
- Add chicken back to the pot. Pour in tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth and spices. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and continue to cook 20 minutes or until flavors blend and chicken is cooked through. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your tortilla strips with cooking oil and sprinkle with salt. Spread in a single layer over a baking sheet. Place in the oven. After 5 minutes, stir them and cook another 5 until they begin to brown. Take them out and let them rest.
- Serve soup with cheese, diced tomato, avocado, chopped cilantro, tortilla strips and a squeeze of lime.